Karna refers to ‘ear’ and poorana means ‘full.’ The therapy involves gently filling the ears with warm medicated herbal oil (usually from 4-10 drops) until the ear canal is filled with the oil. In simple terms, the internal ear is given a lubricating herbal bath.
It is an effective therapy for treating all diseases associated with the ears, for example ear infections, earaches, tinnitus (ringing in the ears), and poor hearing. It is also an excellent therapy for vata imbalance and associated diseases.
The ear is dominated by the vata dosha. Cold and dry breeze, excessive sounds, and bombarding noises all affect the ears, which in turn impact the vata balance in the body. By stimulating, protecting and cleaning the ear, balance is restored to the vata dosha in the body.
Benefits of Karna Poorana
- Cleans the ear canal, dislodges impurities, and improves the functions of the ear
- Soothes the nerves, improves clarity of the mind
- Creates restfulness and helps cure insomnia
- Cools and refreshes the eyes (as eyes and ears are related)
- Cures headache
- Improves neck pain and jaw pain
Karna Poorana is generally combined with head and face massage.
Good to combine with a head and neck, or full body massage.
Consultation is necessary, and treatment is given by an experienced ayurvedic physician.