Care your health in Autumn
- Routine: Maintain a regular routine of meals, sleep, work, and exercise.
- Abhyanga: Perform a daily self-massage with a vata balancing oil and after take a warm water shower.
- Diet: Eat seasonal foods that are warm, wet, sweet, sour and salty. Eat cooked fruits such as apples and pears. Avoid raw food. Include healthy fats such as ghee. Drink plenty of warm water herbal teas, and warm water with ginger to improve your digestive fire. Most dairy products are fine except hard cheeses, plain yogurt and ice cream. Warm milk with a pinch of cardamom is excellent.
- Spices: Use warming and grounding herbs and spices like ginger, cardamom, cinnamon, asafetida, nutmeg, cumin etc.
- Essential oils: Use rose, sandalwood, patchouli, vanilla and lemon.
- Clothing: Wear warm clothes, covering your head, ear, hands, and feet. Wear warm colors like red, orange, and yellow.
- Close to nature: Spend time in nature with activities like gardening, walking in the bush, playing in the park, observing plants and animals.
- Physical activity: Do slow and warming exercise and physical activity like yoga and breathing practices.
- Meditation: Remain fully present and inwardly focused, stay connected to the earth, close your eyes and gaze inside, practice yoga nidra and conscious breathing. Seek silence.
Why to detox in autumn
- Build energy reserves (ojas) and boost your immune system: Flushing out the toxins means the body will improve its immunity and have more energy.
- Get ready for cold winter: When we clean our body at the end of autumn season, we can be ready to fight potential winter imbalances.
- Promote our deep natural energy: After cleansing our body and mind, we can stay focused and alert during the shorter days and so make them productive.
- Balance mind and emotions: Autumn is dominated by vata energy which can bring instability, anxiety, nervousness, confusion, dilemmas etc. We can prevent these changes and stay stable.
- Balance digestive fire (agni): Detoxing is a way to balance our agni or digestive fire giving us optimal digestion, absorption and metabolism.
- Stay warm and keep glow: Detoxing helps us keep our body warm and alert during the cold autumn and early winter.
- Reduce mucus: Detoxing helps us to eliminate mucus-building factors and clean up the bodily channels.
Note: Ayurvedic advice varies for each person. This article is simply a guide. If you would like a plan for your personal balance and health this autumn, contact us to make an appointment with one of our experienced ayurvedic doctors. We will design a plan to meet your health and wellness needs and goals.