Gastroenteritis or stomach flu is an inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract, and it is a very common medical condition. It can present as a symptom of other illness as well as a disease.
- Celiac disease
- Lactose intolerance
- Certain medications
Signs and Symptoms
- Abdominal pain
In Ayurveda, the removal of undigested food either through upper or lower channels of the digestive tract is known as Visucika. Visucika can present both as a symptom as well as a disease.
Ayurvedic Management of Gastroenteritis
- Take water frequently to avoid dehydration.
- Avoid heavy, cold and dry food.
- Eat only when you are hungry.
- Consume easily digestible food.
- It is a communicable disease so, avoid taking food and water from disease prone areas.
- Drink boiled and cooled water only.
- Intake of water boiled with cumin and coriander seeds to improve digestion.
- Ginger has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory property so, water boiled with ginger also helps to remove abdominal colic, anorexia and diarrhoea.
- Some herbal medicines like Tinospora cordifolia (Guloochi), Embelia ribes (Vidanga), Glycyrrhiza glabra (Mulethi), Aegle marmelos (Bilva) and Holarrhena antidysenterica (Kutaja) improve intestinal health and are good for proper digestion.
- Panchakarma treatments (Detox programs including Vasti) will eliminate toxins.